Being part of the editing group for our anthology submissions has been quite a learning curve. Now you all know I’ve never pretended to be a computer wiz-kid but I have come a long way in handling the toy. So when I got the call, I was champing at the bit – editing ahoy! I am no stranger to the art, for myself and fellow writers, even a book for publication.
I accepted Nicola’s invitation to Dropbox only to find it defaulted to Spanish no matter how many times I tried to translate it. Alright, not too much of a problem for me. I found the submissions I was allocated and I was on my way. I think I read, edited, re-read and re-edited with a growing sense of panic, wanting to get things right.
Then I got the dash dilemma. Okay, so we’re going with m-dashes, no spaces either side. I printed Paola’s advice sheet and my confidence soared. Silly me!
Thinking I had the dratted little m-dash beaten, I proceeded to save my first edit to the completed edits folder.
Oops! Where is it? Thankfully, Nicola found it in another WA folder and with trepidation I looked at moving it to the correct place. It’s surprising how excited one can get over simple things. Big ‘whoop’ when said story appeared in Completed Edits.
I was on a roll and my next edited piece found its home with no trouble at all.
It was then I had the realization that my m-dash did not look good. Back to Nicola, who by this time must have been sick of my queries. Her suggested options in hand, I tackled the dreaded dash. Success and yet another achievement added to my editing/computing repertoire.
I am keeping my fingers, and toes, crossed that the remaining stories in my inbox soon turn up present and correct in the Completed Edits folder. It really is essential. Time is running out for me to edit and submit my own fiction and non-fiction pieces and after reading WA members’ super writing, I feel I’ve got some work ahead of me.